Monday, October 18, 2010

Golden Oldies - My Favorite Childhood Books

I decided to grace my parents this weekend with my presence, and they put me to work. This is typical, but for once I was shocked. My parents are finally empty nesters and are trying to rearrange the house. Over the years, my brother and I have complied several large piles of books and my mom wanted to consolidate some ( which I thought would never happen because my mother can be defined as a borderline hoarder! )


Never in my whole 22-years have I ever had trouble throwing something away. But when she asked me to pitch my childhood books, I refused. Tons of memories came flooding back as I reread "Goodnight Moon" for the first time in years.

I grabbed as many books as I could hide under my bed and decided to put them away for my theoretical children. I think there is something special about sharing something from your childhood with your children, or so I'm told.

Which got me thinking. What were the top five books from my childhood? It took me awhile, but I think I've narrowed it down.

1. "Were the Wild Things Are," by Maurice Sendak
2. "Goodnight Moon," by Margaret Wise Brown
3. "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," by Laura Joffe Numeroff   
4. "The Rainbow Fish," by Marcus Pfister
5.  "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," by Eric Carle

 I still love these books, and I think it is safe to say that they'll continue to transcended the generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment