Saturday, September 18, 2010

What Do You Like To Read ?

It seems that with the older generations, they find a genre and stick with it. But that doesn't seem to be the case for college students. It seems, at least to me, that we read whatever meets our fancy.

My goal is to provide you with a what I'm going to call, "the weekly list." This list will contain ten books, each accompanied by a short synopsis and possible reviews. But before I start this,I want to know what other college students are interested in. Do you like short stories or poetry? What meets your fancy? Take my poll and help me. The results will help me provide you with what you are looking for. And who knows, maybe I'll find something new to read.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great, exciting idea Francesca! I'd suggest, if you aren't following it already, to 'like' the New York Review of Books on fb- they have some really great information and post frequently.
    I LOVE contemporary Brit lit like Zadie Smith's On Beauty and Ian McEwen's Atonement and Saturday. David Sedaris...need I say more. Lynne Truss' Eats Shoots and Leaves successfully makes grammar a guilty pleasure. Finally, one of the most significant authors I've been reading lately is Michael Pollan (as well as following him on Twitter!). His works, Omnivore's Dilemma and The Botany of Desire really changed the way I think about food production and consumption that can be applied to anything in commercial culture. I pretty much would rather be reading contemporary works that comment on contemporary issues and critically address race, class, gender and environmentalism. If I can't discuss the "So what?" factor of a text, I don't want to read it- not even for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allie. I will definitely add the review ! Do you think I should add a weekly discussion board so everyone can interact?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie you'll stole my thunder! (Sorta haha) I'm using Omnivore in my tutorial! Did you know he wrote a kid version of it? Just thought I'd throw that out there lol

    ReplyDelete