Monday, November 15, 2010

The new nookcolor !

I've been avoiding this post for awhile, so I must apologize. My reasons are simple, I'm jealous and torn. As you know, I got a nook for my birthday in July. I love it, and have had little complaints about it. WELL, several weeks ago Barnes & Nobles introduced the nookcolor.

When I first heard about it, I thought that it would basically be the same thing, except that everything would be in color. Silly me ! It is  a completely new beast.  It actually reminds me of the iPad, which is where I am torn. In my opinion, the nookcolor doesn't do nearly as much as the iPad. Yet those that are reviewing the nookcolor say its now the iPad's biggest competitor.  Personally, I'd rather have the iPad than the nookcolor, but I will admit it is pretty awesome. Crave did a pretty nice write up and really offers a great overview, http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20020747-1.html.


 
Here are some of the aspects provided by Crave:
  • 7-inch VividView color touch screen (1,024x600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi; more than 16 million colors)
  • 8.1 inches by 5 inches by .48 inches (HWD)
  • 15.8 ounces
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • Runs on Android 2.1 (upgradeable to 2.2 in 2011)
  • 8GB of built-in memory, plus microSD expansion slot for adding more memory
  • Supports PDF and ePub files, as well Word, Excel, and PowerPoint using built-in Quickoffice software
  • Image files supported: JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP files (use personal photos for wallpaper)
  • Video playback via Android Media Player
  • Sealed-in battery delivers eight hours of continuous reading time
  • Pandora preloaded
  • Web browser (no Flash support in Android 2.1 but will be added in 2.2)
  • No Android Market, but Barnes & Noble will sell some apps through its own store
  • Integrated social-networking and LendMe apps
  • Price: $249
  • Available in Barnes & Noble stores, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Books-A-Million
 To interact with the nookcolor and to learn more, visit Barnes&Nobles at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp?cm_sp=Gateway-_-NOOKcolor-_-Explore%20Now%20Btn&cds2Pid=30919.

No comments:

Post a Comment