Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Book-Based Films, Why must you Upset Me ?

When I started this blog, I set some goals for myself. One of those goals was to turn this blog into something useful for my audience. In other words, I promised myself I wouldn't rant. However, there is a "subject" that I can no longer ignore. I HATE when books are turned into movies !!!

About 70 % of the time, the movie is interpreted completely different from the book. The characters may be the same, but too many things are changed or tweaked. Take, for example, "The Lords of The Rings." While I LOVED the movies, I felt that there were too many things missing.  Maybe it was the fact that I am just a really big nerd, but regardless I felt like things were almost incomplete. I realize that there is only so long that people are willing to sit in a theater. But, wouldn't you rather sit there an extra half an hour than walk away feeling disappointed?

Others complain about the Twilight movies, but I can't comment because I refuse to both read the books or see the movies ( I know weird right ? But I feel like I need to put my foot down somewhere.) 

I do have to admit though that there are some books that are translated to the T. The bug that got this little bitch-fest started is the quickly approaching premier of the final installments of the Harry Potter books. I think the producers and directors have done a great job so far. However, I am a bit annoyed that they are breaking the final book into two films. I am SICK of waiting for this to finish. Not the mention the fact that I am a little tired of contributing to J.K. Rowling millions.

Plus, if whoever wrote this money globber doesn't do Dumbledore's death justice, I'll flip ! To get tickets or to see movie times visit, http://www.fandango.com/.

My hope for future book-based productions, is that producer/writers respect the original score, and attempt to do the book some justice. Most books that are translated to film are best sellers, so in my opinion they've already done the hard part, getting people interested.

So there is my rant, but I must ask, were do you stand on book-based films?

2 comments:

  1. Well personally I really enjoyed this post! There are too many movies based on books that do not do the books justice. I do have to say that I saw the Twilight movies, and I hated them. I have no idea if they do the books justice but if they do..lets never read those books! I am pretty pleased with the Harry Potter series. While there are things they left out that I wish were in the movies, I think they have done pretty well, but I agree END IT ALREADY! Lets just hope that someday an author has the genious to write their own screen play...maybe that will help us out!

    P.S. don't forget to check out the movie version of Water For Elephants, it better do the book justice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANNOT wait for that movie. I hope they do a good job too, that book is one of my all-time favorites. And yes, why is it that authors don't write or have a say in their screenplays?

    ReplyDelete