Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Opinions, Opinions, Opinions

Do reviews really affect what books people choose to read ? It is something that has prelexed me for awhile, do people choose books based on others opinions or do they choose books based on their own interests?

Personally, I choose books based on my own interests. However, there are times when someones review will sway my attitude towards the book. Yet as I asked some friends and my lovely roommates, I was informed that book reviews really influence which books they read and why.

If they read a negative review for a certain book, they won't even bother picking up. If the review is somewhere in the middle, they may decide to give it a try, and if it is a positive or outstanding review, they definitely read it. I was surprised by this, but I guess to each their own.

I tend to wait until after I read the book to read the review. That way it doesn't really sway me. Like I said, reviews can reflect my attitude towards a book, and if I have a negative attitude going in, it can be the best book in the world and I'll hate it.  To check out reviews for the latest books you're reading, visit http://www.goodreads.com/. Where do you stand on reviews? How do they affect which books you choose ?

No comments:

Post a Comment