Monday, November 29, 2010

As the sun plummeted into the horizon...

I am really into descriptive writing lately.  It makes the characters and the story become more realistic, and more interesting when the picture is already painted for me. While it doesn't leave much to the imagination, it takes a great deal of skill to do it correctly.

It is something that I hope I can one day achieve as a writer, and what better way to hone the skill then to immerse yourself into it ? Although I haven't had much time to read over the last couple of weeks, I keep finding books that just call for my attention. "lit," by Mary Karr is one such book. Karr, a daughter of alcoholics, depicts her own descent into alcoholism and recovery in her memoir.

Barnes & Nobles, http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Lit/Mary-Karr/e/9780060596996/?cds2Pid=35042, has a feature that allows members to read the first few chapters of books online before the decide if they want to buy it or not. I was memorized by Karr's book. She is an amazing writer and VERY descriptive. I really suggest that you give this one a try, and I think it is really something special. Once again, I've found another book to add to my Goodreads account.....

No comments:

Post a Comment